South Korea blames North for DMZ mine explosion (dpa German Press Agency)

Seoul (dpa) – Seoul said Monday that North Korea was behind a land
mine explosion last week in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) between the
two countries, which seriously injured two South Korean soldiers.

The remains of wooden cases, spring parts and TNT explosives found at
the site indicated Pyongyang’s involvement, the head of the military
investigation was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.

“The explosives are clearly wooden-box mines that the North Korean
army is using,” Brigadier General Ahn Young Ho said.

The explosion severed the legs of two sergeants.

South Korean and US forces are scheduled to hold regular drills next
week. The mine incident could have been intended to disrupt the
exercises, an unnamed official at the Joint Chiefs of Staff was
quoted as saying.

The mine went off August 4 during a South Korean patrol of the
southern part of the DMZ that was previously mine-free, Ahn was
quoted as saying. North Korean troops might have laid it under cover
of recent heavy fog, he said.

It was the first explosion of a North Korean mine in the DMZ since
the 1960s, the report said.

Yonhap also reported that the United Nations military command
denounced the mine and proposed a generals’ meeting with North Korea.

South Korean officials said last week they thought the North was
probably not responsible for laying the mine.

You may also like...