S. Korea discovers apparent Korean War remains in DMZ

SEOUL South Korea's defense ministry said Monday it has discovered four pieces of bones, believed to be those of at least one soldier killed in the 1950-53 Korean War, inside the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).

The bone pieces were found during an excavation and demining project that South Korea launched earlier this month on Arrowhead Ridge, a former battle site inside the DMZ that separates the two Koreas, the ministry said.

Earlier, the military found two pieces of bones during the operation.

"(The military) found one piece last Thursday, two pieces the following day and two more on Monday," the ministry said in a release, adding that some items believed to have belonged to the war dead, such as pieces of military boots, were also found at the site.

Noting that it remains unclear whether the bone pieces are from a single person, the military said it will carry out a detailed examination and DNA analysis to identify their origins.

Under the inter-Korean military accord aimed at reducing tensions and building trust, Seoul and Pyongyang had planned to carry out the joint excavation project for about six months from April.

But the North has remained unresponsive to its call to jointly launch the project as agreed, leaving the South Korean military to carry out the operation alone.

Source: Yonhap news Agency

You may also like...