S. Korea braces for possible terror attacks from N. Korea: official
South Korea is bracing for any possible terror attacks from North Korea, an official said Friday.
"The presidential office of national security is thoroughly in control of every situation related to terror," presidential spokesman Jeong Yeon-guk told reporters.
Still, he declined to comment on whether National Security Adviser Kim Kwan-jin or other South Korean officials are included on North Korea's alleged hit list.
South Korea believes that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has ordered intensified preparations for terror attacks on South Korea, Kim Sung-woo, chief presidential press secretary, told reporters on Thursday.
The warning came amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula over North Korea's nuclear test and long-range rocket launch in recent weeks.
Police said earlier this week that North Korean hackers sent massive amounts of spam emails to South Korean public organizations last month, the latest in a series of cyberattacks against the South in recent years.
North Korea has a track record of waging cyber attacks on South Korea and the United States in recent years, though it has flatly denied any involvement.
North Korea also staged terror attacks against South Korea in the past few decades, including the 1987 midair bombing of a Korean Air flight that killed all 115 people aboard.
Source: Yon Hap News