Long-term marriage immigrants, naturalized citizens increase in 2018

SEOUL, The portion of marriage immigrants and naturalized citizens who have lived in South Korea for more than 10 years rose last year from three years earlier, but they increasingly feel lonesome in their new home country, a government survey showed Thursday.

According to the poll conducted by the Ministry of Gender and Equality, there were 306,995 multicultural households in South Korea last year. Among them, 85.7 percent consist of at least one immigrant parent and the remaining 14.3 percent have a naturalized Korean.

Those who lived more than 10 years in South Korea accounted for 60.6 percent of the total last year, up from 47.9 percent tallied three years ago. Moreover, 27.6 percent of them answered that they had lived in the country for 15 years or longer, up 7 percentage points from 20.6 percent in 2015.

When asked whether they have difficulties in living in Korea, 70.1 percent said "yes," citing financial problems, loneliness and language barriers.

In particular, the percentage who cite loneliness as a reason for daily pressure reached 24.1 percent in 2018, up from 18.5 percent three years earlier.

Also, 40.7 percent of marriage immigrants and naturalized citizens said they have no friends to enjoy free time with and 38.5 percent said they have nobody to ask for help when they are sick.

Source: Yonhap news Agency

You may also like...