Gov’t to collect Korean War veterans’ accounts in U.S. for remains recovery

SEOUL, The defense ministry said Wednesday it will collect accounts from Koreans who fought in the 1950-53 Korean War and now reside in the United States as part of efforts to expedite war remains excavation efforts.

Some 130 Korean War veterans are to take part in testimony sessions slated for later in the day in New York and on Saturday in Washington, according to the defense ministry. Around 500 Korean War veterans now live in the eastern U.S.

"The sessions are meant to gather more information on the Cold War conflict and get tips for the ongoing excavation of war remains based on their combat experiences," the ministry said in a release.

Since 2017, the ministry has held such hearings in major U.S. cities, including Los Angeles and San Francisco, and secured around 200 stories.

During the three-year war, about 137,800 Korean soldiers were killed and 25,000 went missing. Some 40,670 international servicemen were also killed and 4,100 unaccounted for, according to the ministry's records.

The South Korean military has been carrying out the excavation project since last month and had discovered 163 pieces of bones as of last week.

It had planned to carry out the project jointly with North Korea for six months from April under the inter-Korean military accord signed September last year, but the North has remained unresponsive to such calls for the joint implementation as agreed.

Source: Yonhap news Agency

You may also like...