Gov’t to announce recall guideline for smartphones
South Korea will roll out the country's first recall guidelines for smartphones later this month, government source said Monday, following a massive recall by Samsung Electronics Co.
The Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning and the nation's telecom and broadcasting regulator, the Korea Communications Commission (KCC), mapped out a draft of the guidelines and will release the final draft by the end of December, they said.
Under the draft version, smartphone manufacturers must discuss with the country's three mobile carriers -- SK Telecom Co., KT Corp. and LG Uplus Co. -- when they launch a recall or halt production, and come up with a relevant policy within three days.
The recall policy is designed to protect consumers, the sources said, adding that it should contain details such as the period for exchanges and refunds.
Also, the two sides should come up with detailed guidance on how to compensate customers, the sources said.
"The draft version was drawn after hearing opinions from the ministry, the KCC, and the companies," said an ICT official who wished to remain anonymous, emphasizing that details of the guidelines can change.
The guidelines come after Samsung Electronics, the world's largest manufacturer of smartphones, conducted a recall of its latest Galaxy Note 7 phablet earlier this year due to a battery problem. But Note 7 users have claimed that they were confused about Samsung's recall procedures.
Under the current communication law, only manufacturers are obligated to carry out recalls, but there are no guidelines or regulations regarding mobile carriers.
Source: Yonhap News Agency