Federal and Provincial Governments Support Mount Pearl Export Company
November 13, 2014 – Mount Pearl, NL – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
AbbyShot Clothiers Limited is pursuing new product contracts to capitalize on global sales opportunities, thanks in part to investments from the federal and provincial governments. Funding of more than $300,000 was announced today by Senator Fabian Manning, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), and the Honourable Darin King, provincial Minister of Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development.
AbbyShot has established itself as a global leader in the niche market of media inspired replica apparel and accessories, offering garments styled after popular movies, television shows and video game characters. Financing through this project supports initiatives such as license acquisitions and new product development, which will enable the company to expand and offer new licensed products in international markets.
AbbyShot operates as an e-commerce company, exporting products to 53 countries across North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. The Mount Pearl company has developed into a design house, servicing retail and wholesale clients for licensed products. Major entertainment license companies such as Universal Studios, BBC Worldwide and Twentieth Century Fox recognize the value AbbyShot brings in as a licensing partner.
- The Government of Canada is contributing a repayable investment of $206,448 towards the project through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s investment of $100,000 is being provided through the Department of Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development.
- AbbyShot Clothiers Limited is providing $158,532 to support the project.
- AbbyShot customers can view and purchase the company’s designs from its web site, as well as interact with other visitors and staff through its various social media platforms.
“Our Government is pleased to support forward-thinking companies like AbbyShot that continually seek out new trade markets throughout the world. Our Government has negotiated historic trade deals with the European Union and Korea that are helping Canadian companies like AbbyShot to export their products, create new jobs and economic opportunities and grow local economies.”
– Senator Fabian Manning, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“There are so many incredible stories emerging from all over the province that demonstrate innovation, tenacity, and that special spark we have as Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, and AbbyShot is no exception. Their accomplishments and successes reinforce the sentiment that regardless of where you are from or how big or small your company is, there are no boundaries to your potential. AbbyShot may be a small business, but they’re playing in the big leagues with groups such as the BBC and Twentieth Century Fox. Our continued investment in this outstanding company will help them grow their business to even greater international acclaim.”
– The Honourable Darin King, provincial Minister of Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development
“The success of AbbyShot is due in large part to the partnerships both the Federal and Provincial Governments have played in offering key programs which allow companies to be successful. AbbyShot is currently experiencing a large growth period with the success of its licensing program, and these funds will help us to secure more licenses and enable us to fill key personnel positions sooner than we would otherwise have been able to do.”
– Bonnie Cook, President, AbbyShot Clothiers Limited
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Rob Moore
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Director of Communications
Department of Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development